One ingredient for skincare. Potato is much more than fries and chips people, learn how to use it for Scars, Acne and Anti Aging.
Next time someone calls you a couch potato, or may be just a potato, don’t get mad, ’cause in my opinion Potato is the King of the vegetables! Frankly speaking, it is the only vegetable that everyone eats (in some way or the other!) I remember every time I was asked to finish my veggie-bowl as a kid, I would eat only potatoes and then be super happy about it! Do you know you can use Potato for skincare. Learn how to use it for treating acne, for reducing scars and even for anti-aging.
So everyone in the house, throw your hands up in the air and say with me, Which vegetable gives you fries? Potato! Which vegetable gives you Yummy Chips? Potato! Guess what, which vegetable can give you flawless complexion? Yes people, it is our very own own, our favorite Potato!
Why is Potato Good for Skin?
- Potatoes contain ‘catecholase’ enzyme which can help in reducing dark spots, blemishes and acne scars.
- The presence of mild bleaching properties reduces the melamine production, lowers hyper pigmentation and lightens the skin effectively.
- It contains potassium which helps in keeping the skin hydrated.
- It has vitamin B6, which helps in new cell formation.
- It contains magnesium which fights with free radicals that cause wrinkles.
How to use Potato for skincare?
- Oily Skin Mask: Peel and finely grate a potato, then add rosewater (alternatively you can add rice water or plain water) and mix thoroughly. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and apply to face for at least 15 minutes. (Tip: You can dip the face mask sheet in this juice and then apply it on your face)
- Dry Skin Mask: Everything stays the same as above, but instead of lemon juice, add 1 tsp of honey or yogurt.
- Anti-Ageing Mask: Potato paste with Greek Yogurt or plain yogurt (This also works as a hydrating mask).
- Firming Mask: Mix well 1 egg white and juice from half a potato, apply it evenly on the skin. Leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Hydrating and nourishing Mask- Peel and Grate 1 potato and mix it with 2 Tbsp olive oil, then add 1 Tbsp honey. Mix thoroughly, then apply to the skin. Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- For Sun Burn- If you are a beach baby and sun is your idea of fun like me then you probably know the after effects of spending a sunny day on the beach! Fear no more darlings, our hero, Mr. Potato comes to our rescue here again! Potato cures the sunburns. Take the potato slice and rub the potato slice on the sunburn are for 5 minutes. Then wash the face and skin with cool water.
Happy Masking! Want to learn more skincare hacks and home remedies? Click here!