Al Rabi Hiking Trail is considered to be one of the best lesser known spots for camping and hiking. Located in Khorfakkan in the United Arab Emirates, roughly one and a half hours away from Dubai. The Al Rabi hiking trail is perfect for both beginners as well as expert hikers/campers. The location provides a breathtaking view of Khor Fakkan city on one side and the majestic Gulf of Oman on the other. A panoramic view that is bound to win everyone’s heart. What makes it unique is that though this place is well-marked yet it hasn’t lost its natural charm. The route is easily accessible and famous amongst everyone as a quick weekend getaway. It has been my go-to place ever since I visited it a couple of years ago, so in this post let’s learn everything you need to know about it and why you should visit it!
Al Rabi- About
The Al Rabi Hiking Trail begins at the Al Rabi Tower, one of the first of a series of watchtowers built in the 1915 A.D. in the Khorfakkan city to look out for any trespassers as part of a defense network for Khorfakkan. Hikers can follow a well-marked trail that zigzags up to a 395m summit with scenic views. Khorfakkan city holds hundreds of years of history as a prosperous port and was once attacked by the Portuguese. This is one of the UAE’s most popular spots for hiking and camping because it is doable by the entire family.
Best time to visit
A comfortable and risk-free trail for beginners and casual hikers. The best (and the most popular) time to do the hike is before sunrise. If you start early enough, you could get the best view at the top in time for sunrise.
Al Rabi Hiking Trail- A safe beginners’ hiking trail that can be comfortably done within a few hours.
- Comfortable shoes
- Plenty of water and snacks
- Cap, sunglasses, scarfs, etc.
- Garbage bags
Some Tips n Tricks
- Arrive early to find a parking spot near the Al Rabi tower but if you don’t find a spot, then you’ll have to go back to the starting point.
- If you plan to hike with children, drop them off near the tower, before looking for parking.
- There is fresh fruit, vegetable, and meat market on the main road, you can find a washroom there.
- Go either early morning or late afternoon on a weekday to avoid the rush.
- The place has a beautiful spot nearby (hardly a 5-10 min drive from Al Rabi Tower) for watching the sunrise… Just in case!!
- Save the offline Google Map for the place as the network coverage over there can sometimes be unreliable.
- If you are planning for a full-day trip then do visit the nearby places like Shark Island, Heart Beach, Khorfakkan beach, etc.
- The Khorfakkan beach has a lot of food trucks, etc.
On the way up, there’s a message from the Ruler of Sharjah, Sheikh Sultan Al Qassimi which reads: ‘God cherished nature. We are wary of man’s tampering with nature. If you love Sultan, appreciate what he has done for nature’. So please, leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures (and great memories)! Hope you enjoyed reading it, do check out the other travel-related posts.