Hair masks don’t cost a fortune but they have wonderful (short as well as long term) effects on your hair and scalp It doesn’t matter how promising a store-bought hair mask is, it cannot beat the hair masks that our moms and our grand-moms told us about (but we have been too lazy to try!)! I have summed up my 5 all-time favorite DIY hair masks. Try one of these tonight, and I promise your hair will thank you for it!
If I am not out and If I am not procrastinating then there’s a pretty decent chance you’d find me at home, preparing DIY hair masks or face masks for my friends (Hello sustainable living and zero-waste lifestyle!). If it’s a food item, you can guarantee I’ve smeared it on my face/body/hair—which means I’m also totally aware of what ingredients work and what ingredients I dare not touch! Trust me when I say there are many, many horrible recipes out there on the internet (We have all seen influencers dancing and swearing by Baking Soda for skincare. *grunts*) that are crap and I wouldn’t even bother to test them out. So, to save you from a probable hair disaster, save this blog post and share it with someone to show that you care for them **cough it would be a great conversation starter cough**
Hair masks for Dry and Frizzy Hair
Want to smoothen that dry and frizzy hair? Then prepare this hair mask that will make your hair soft and lustrous. This hair mask works better for every hair, mainly beneficial for dry and frizzy hair.
- Very Ripe Banana
- Yogurt – 4-5 teaspoon
- Honey – 2 teaspoon
- Olive or Almond Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Ensure that the banana is very ripe (next time, don’t throw bananas when they turn black!) Mash it in a blender till it becomes thick paste-like.
- Mix Yogurt, Honey, and your choice of Oil to this paste.
- Apply this hair mask to moist hair from top to bottom.
- Tie your hair up and you may cover it using a shower cap.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Then, wash as usual.
Hair Mask for Oily Hair
If you have oily hair that gets greasy after 1-2 days, this mask is for you.
- Methi seeds
- Coconut milk
- Soak Methi seeds overnight, next day grind them.
- Mix it with Besan and Coconut.
- Apply it to the scalp and massage.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes then wash as usual.
Multitasking Mask Hero!
As the name suggests, this hair mask is a multitasking mask then will make your hair shiny, smooth, remove dandruff and this also helps in controlling hair fall. Don’t be overwhelmed by the list of ingredients, this hair mask works like a wonder and you wouldn’t regret the efforts you’ll put into preparing it!
- Onion Juice
- Curry Leaves
- Castor Oil
- Mix Onion juice, Honey, Castor Oil, and Yoghurt.
- Grind and make a paste of curry leaves.
- Mix everything, add a pinch of cinnamon
- Apply to the scalp, then from roots to end.
- Wash as usual
Hair mask to Boost Hair Growth
If you are experiencing unusual hair fall, then this is what you should go for. Remember, a good diet, proper sleep, and exercise play huge importance, and then comes what you do externally with your hair.
- Aloe Vera Gel (natural is preferred else go for good quality if store-bought aloe gel)
- Castor Oil
- Indian Gooseberry (fresh or powder)
- Brahmi powder
- Black seed
- Methi or Fenugreek seeds
- Soak overnight black seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Grind and make a paste of it.
- Mix the liquid ingredients.
- Apply to the scalp and then from the roots to the ends.
- Leave it for 40 minutes and then wash as usual
Hair Mask for hair fall
One more mask for hair fall, this one doesn’t need a lot of ingredients like the previous one.
- Flax seeds (soaked overnight)
- Coconut oil
Watch the tutorial here.
Q. When and how often should I use hair masks?
A. Ideally, a hair mask should be applied once a week. However, if your hair is very dry and greasy, you can start using it more than once but pay attention to how your hair behaves after using a hair mask. Choosing the right ingredients for your hair type is everything.
Q. How long should I keep hair masks for?
A. Preferably, keep hair masks till they get absorbed (30+ minutes). However, if you feel your hair is very dry and unhealthy, you can use it for 40+ minutes. On the other hand, if your hair is in good condition, you can use it for 10-15 minutes as well.
Q. How do I select the hair masks?
A. Select a Hair mask according to your hair type. You should identify what your hair needs the most and choose a mask according to it.
If you are someone who enjoys home remedies and DIY masks then don’t miss these posts. Hope you enjoyed reading it and do let me know if you are looking for something specific.