There is a reason why Neem tree is known as “The Miracle Tree”. Read on to know how to use Neem for Skin and Hair.
While vacationing in India, every time I tried something new (and it worked!) in my mind I was like “I HAVE TO share this with everyone!” I came across some of the most amazing (natural) skin and hair care products that are not only cheap but are also readily available. On my recent trip to India, the land of Ayurveda, I went on a shopping spree for herbs and natural medicines, I bought around 16 (Yes!) different kinds of herbs, I have already started using most of them and can’t wait to share the results with you all.
In this post, I will be talking about Neem, the Miracle Tree, and how to use Neem for Skin and Hair. It’s funny and sad at the same time, how we buy any product that claims to be “All Natural” but we deter away from using the same natural ingredient in its raw form. For instance, since people who have problematic and acne prone skin, always try to use face washes and creams that have Neem in it but ask them when was the last time they tried to use natural Neem leaves.. Well.. I know the answer! The problem I believe is WE ARE JUST LAZY! Sorry for being brutally honest.
I will be doing a separate blog post on “Why I started making my own products?” I am sure once you will read it, you will start doing the same! So, let’s not waste time and get back to our Magical Tree, and how to use Neem for Skin and Hair.
Some of the benefits of Neem:
- Anti-bacterial properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Anti-Cancer Properties
- Boosts immunity
- Contains Anti-Aging And Protective Antioxidants
- Regenerative properties
- Helps in fighting free radical damage
- High in important fatty acids and vitamin E and can quickly penetrate outer layers of skin
- Stimulates Collagen and so on
What are the Benefits of using Neem in a Face Mask?
- Heals Scars
- Fights Acne, Neem helps in reducing acne or pimples caused by bacteria
- Treats Pigmentation
- Exfoliates the skin
- Works as an anti-inflammatory
- Treats Skin Infections
- Neem kills bacteria on the surface of the skin
- Clear And Glowing Skin
- Moisturizer (Yes) Neem is high in vitamin E and rich in fatty acids and will not dry out skin.
- Neem works well with every skin type
How to make Anti-Wrinkle Cream With Lavender and Neem Oil:
- ½ ounce of pure, organic neem oil
- 8 ounces of organic jojoba oil
- 4 –5 drops pure lavender oil
- Place ingredients in a small bottle, shake well. Make sure all ingredients are well blended. Use it regularly.
- For skin problems, apply directly onto the skin two or three times a day.You should not use undiluted neem oil on your skin. Always try a very small amount on a small area of skin to make sure your skin does not have a negative reaction.
To control acne using Neem Oil:
To use neem oil for acne control, warm a teaspoonful of coconut oil or olive oil and mix in 10 drops of organic cold-pressed neem oil. Apply on the face and wash it off after an hour, or leave it overnight, depending on your tolerance level.
Neem for dandruff control:
Warm a teaspoon of organic cold-pressed neem oil and massage it gently into the scalp. Wash it off after half an hour. Again, if your scalp is very sensitive, neem oil may be diluted with an equal amount of coconut oil to prevent irritation.
How to use neem as a face-mask:
1. Neem + Tomato = Protects the skin against free radicals, improve texture and removes tan.
Crush tomato into a pulp, add neem powder. Mix well and apply the mask to your face. Let your skin absorb its properties for 15 minutes and then rinse.
2. Neem + Honey + Tulsi = Clears dirt deposits, kills pimple-causing bacteria
Take a handful of tulsi and neem leaves and dry them in shade. Once it is dry, crush it into a fine powder. Mix a tablespoon of honey to the powder. Apply the paste evenly to your face and neck. Wait till it dries, scrub in a circular motion and rinse.
3. Neem + Turmeric + Yogurt = Oil-controlling neem mask will make the skin clear of blemishes and marks.
Mix 1 teaspoon of neem powder with 1 tablespoon yoghurt and a pinch of turmeric. Apply it on to your face. Wait till it dries and then rinse.
4. Neem + Apple Cider Vinegar + Honey = Removes spots from the skin.
Mix 1 teaspoon of neem powder, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey together in a paste. Apply it to your face. Let it dry for 30 minutes. Scrub and rinse.
5. Neem + Rose Petals + Almond Oil + Rice Water = Mask with Bleaching properties that will make your skin turn fair, clear and makes the skin youthful.
Mix 5 neem leaves, a handful of rose petals and 5 drops of almond oil, with a few drops of rose water. Grind it into a fine paste. Apply the mask and leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse it with cold water.
6. Neem + Honey = Rejuvenates tired skin and removes excess oil from the skin.
Crush a handful of neem leaves into a smooth paste, add a tablespoon of organic honey to the paste. Mix to blend well. Apply it to your face and neck. After 30 minutes, rinse.
7. Neem + Rosewater + Clay = Antibacterial properties that clear out blemishes and marks from the skin.
Dry a handful of neem leaves, crush it into a fine powder. Mix the powder and clay with the required amount of rose water to make a smooth paste. Apply it evenly to your face and neck. Rinse after 15 minutes.
8. Neem + Besan + Yogurt = Clears pimples, reduces marks and gives skin a radiant glow.
Mix a tablespoon of gram flour, with a teaspoon of neem powder and a required amount of yoghurt to make a smooth paste. Cleanse your face and apply the mask. Let it stay for 15 minutes and then wash. Apply this DIY neem face mask twice a week to see results.
9. Neem + Papaya = Antibacterial mask that cleanses the skin, reduces breakouts and makes your skin glow.
Crush a ripe papaya into pulp, add a teaspoon of neem powder to the pulp. Mix until the components combine well. Apply it to your face and neck. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse.
10. Neem + Gram flour + Curd + Rose Water = Removes scars and blemishes
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to make a paste. Apply it all over your face. Leave it to dry and then wash.
Now that we have learnt how to use Neem for Skin and Hair, keep in mind that Neem is a very powerful herb, I remember when I got over-excited and used plain Neem with rosewater and it burned my face so bad! I recommend you use it sparsely, and like I always say, please do a patch test before using anything for the first time. Also, every skin is different and what may work for one might not work for another. Home remedies take time to show their effect, so be patient and consistent.